On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 2:38 AM, David Lang <da...@lang.hm> wrote:

> googling for "grub2 windows parition" finds several pages that look
> promising
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/110698/add-windows-to-my-boot-menu
>
> suggests running update-grub and it should detect the windows partition.
>

> On Fri, 2 May 2014, jelan...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Jon upgraded from Kubuntu 13.10 to Kubuntu 14.04. In the process Grub2
>> lost his Windows (XP) boot option. Jon is willing to use Linux but not to
>> the exclusion of Windows.
>>
>> I also upgraded but I think I use legacy Grub as my boot loader. In any
>> case I did not lose my Windows (Vista) boot option.

Not sure if this is on target but... I have had dual boot for quite a
while. Windows 7 and whatever is the latest Ubuntu with Ubuntu being the
default boot. The Ubuntu upgrade to 14.04 broke grub so the machine
wouldn't even boot.

After some panic I found some posts that help me develop the following
solution that was quite pain free
https://plus.google.com/101655558442054679206/posts/hGPDqdiRFRs

The short of it
- created a bootable "SuperGrub" disk
- booted my system from it
- use BootRepair to restore the boot options/order