Hi :)
Proper Server OSes and command&control systems on such things as the space
station and presumably military systems can often do kernel upgrades
without needing to reboot.  The requirement for minimal down-time is
probably a major reason why such systems tend to be BSD, Gnu&Linux and
other unix-based platforms and why IWndows has such a tough time trying to
crack into such markets.

However, desktops do generally need to reboot at the slightest thing, let
alone kernel updates.