Le 23/06/2014 16:37, dave boland a écrit :

Hi David,

> Thank you so much for the info!  I have not spent much time on this, so
> I'm guessing that the plan (for me) is to use LO Base, then use one of
> these products to create the reports?  These report generators require
> either an ODBC or JDBC driver, so I'm hoping that Base has one or the
> other.  I did some Googling and it is not clear to me that it does.  So,
> does that mean that I should be focusing on PostgreSQL or MariaDB for
> example?

LO Base uses an embedded hsqldb engine by default (and an old version at
that), you can not access it directly from other applications even over
a JDBC driver.

There are several alternative strategies :

- you use Excel sheets, CSV files ot delimited text files as your data
source - I believe, from preliminary reading, that at least some of the
report designers I indicated allow this possibility ;

- you use a separate, or external, hsqldb instance - there are tutorials
for this out there on the web (look in the OOo forum), but I think that
this is also given a mention in the LO Base handbook - as the standalone
hsqldb package comes with a JDBC driver you could then use that in one
of the report designer software programs I indicated ;

- you use a known RDBMS - postgres, mysql, mariadb, firebird as a
separate backend for your data, and then attach to that using the
relevant ODBC or JDBC connector via the report designer software.

If you want to do the whole "LO-integrated" thing and have complex
reports including multivariable graphs, etc,  you will need to learn to
program LO via Basic or python, as I indicated in my first response.
That as such, would be no mean feat.

Alex