On 7-8-2014 17:45, Daniel R. Miguel wrote:
Hi again!

I have a problem in Calc. I get a lot of spreadsheets from various
sources and I have to compile one big sheet with the information of
every one of them. One of the problems I am facing is that there is a
lot of names for the same user. So, for example:

PHONE EXTENSION    Name Sheet A
111                                John Doe

PHONE EXTENSION    Name Sheet B
111                                Jon Doe

PHONE EXTENSION    Name Sheet C
111                                J. Doe

Right now, I have kind of a table relating one to another but it is
absolutely atrocious:

EXT.        Name A        Name B
111        John Doe       J. Doe
111        John Doe        Jon Doe

I would like a system where I could have only one row for person:

EXT.    Name A            Name B    Name C    Name D
111    John Doe            J. Doe    Jon Doe    ...
112    Dorian Gray    D. Gray    Don Gray    ...

And once the table is properly established, I would want to replace
every appearance of Name B, Name C with the value of Name A.
If any of you would want to help me pointing how this could be done, I
would be immensely grateful.

Thank you!

I think you can do that with the funtcion VLOOKUP

something like:
=VLOOKUP(A2;'file:///C:/temp/SheetB.ods'#$Sheet1.A1:B5;2; )