Hi :)
Ahh, of course!  The direct formatting remained "on" despite pressing Enter
a few times.  Seems a sensible way to do it thb.  If formatting kept
flicking back to the style rather than kept going the way the user had set
it then it could become quite painful.

When i went back to the file and used;
Format - "Clear direct formatting"
the heading 3 became bold again - although the light greyness made that
difficult to see.