Hi :)
That crash is highly likely to be a Java issue, of course.  Switch off Java
and the text files stop crashing.

Tools - Options - Advanced - Untick the "use JRE?" box

If you really need Java then try using openJava instead and hopefully that
might dodge the issue.  Weirdly Java does have 2 actively branches and the
6 branch has just had a new release in the last week or so.  So it's not
necessarily hopelessly compromised already, except that it's java so if not
now then probably very soon.

I know it's the same tired excuse that most IT companies make, ie to blame
any 3rd party tool, but in this case you'll probably find a whole bunch of
other stuff also has problems with the same version of java.