On 07-12-14 15:03, Dan Lewis wrote:
On 12/07/2014 08:12 AM, Wiebe van der Worp wrote:

Input: In order to keep things simple: three columns with Description,
Amount and a LedgerCode.

Output: Sums per LedgerCode

The question: What is the most efficient approach in order to keep the
sheet alive after adding record 2384?

Example:
LedgerCode: 1, 2, 3
-------------------
1    € 100,00
2    € 65,00
3    € 22,00
-------------------
Description    Amount    LedgerCode
booking 1    € 100,00    1
booking 2    € 50,00    2
booking 3    € 20,00    3
booking 4    € 10,00    2
booking 5    € 5,00    2
booking 6    € 2,00    3

      Rather than use Calc, I recommend using Base with a simple database.
You will need one table (table1) containing four fields: Description,
Amount, LedgerCode, and PK (primary key)
      Then you will need a query to obtain your results. the SQL for the
query is

Select SUM("Amount"), "LedgerCode" FROM table1 GROUP BY "LedgerCode"
ORDER BY "LedgerCode"

Together with Stefan's solution - could even be combined - I am grateful. So for now GnuCash. Thanks, I am going to experiment with both suggestions for educational purposes. Still missing an answer in a sense of straight formulas in Calc for a relative simple problem if we skip the amount of lines that could make it complex.