On Wed, 21 Jan 2015, Tom Davies wrote:

If using HsqlDb then it would be MUCH better to use their proper full
program downloaded from their site as an external back-end.

Tom,

  OK. Guess I need to download, build, and install a 3rd rdbms. That's
do-able. Lots of room on this partition.

  I assume that once the .db file (or whatever extension it uses) is in the
appropriate subdirectory I need only tell Base to connect to it and hope
that it works.

Err, if you do go the Python route then please ignore my earlier post! I
was optimistically assuming that it would be less coding and therefore
easier!!? I hadn't thought about APIs and stuff. Sorry about that :(
Regards from Tom :)

  Long ago I wrote a driver in C for a spatial analysis application; it was
quite different from developing an end-user application. I much prefer to
avoid the pain of writing another driver and in Python.

Stay tuned ... updates at 11,

Rich