Hi, Alex et al.:

          I finally installed LibreOffice 4.5, and the Solver worked there.
Thanks so much to all who replied to my requests for help on this — especially
Alex, who filed several comments on this with Bug 80680 (and probably others)
relating to this issue.

          Installing LO 4.5 is not easy, because it’s still in the early stages
of development.  I finally found in from the LO Dowloands Page -> Download:
Development versions -> Nightly Builds:  Access the Nightly builds server here
-> Master -> MacOSX-10.10@61/ -> 2015-02-05 00:36:56 (most recent date) ->
*_x86-64.dmg.

          Before installing LO 4.5, I tried 4.3.4.1, 4.3.6.1, and 4.4.0.2, all
of which failed under OS X 10.10.1.  I started with 4.3.4.1, because that
version worked for me under Windows 7.  Unfortunately, it didn’t work for me
under OS X.

          Thanks again,
          Spencer