Discussion about open formats aside, I've looked at the file and it looks
like when saving as xlsx each sheet grow huge (some goes to ~20MB before
compression).

Could you also post the xlsx file obtained when saving with MSO, for
comparison? My guess is that either LO saves *a lot* of empty/dummy cells,
or that it saves in an older xlsx format that is less compact.

btw this is only a "by curiosity" request, but it could help the dev
pinpoint an issue if my first guess is correct.

--
Cley Faye
http://cleyfaye.net