To Dave Horwith:

I have lost your original post, and have only your response to Tom Davies.

But, as I remember it, you want a figure for the total number of pages to appear on each page.

If I remember this correctly, then your use of "subtotals" confuses me, but:

I think what you need to do is:

1)    In "Page"  -  "Format", turn - say - headers on.
2)    Then go to "Insert" - "Headers&Footers"
3) The 5th icon to the right then puts the page-count into an (invisible, to me, at least) header. Unlike writer, this insert does not show up until you print or use print-preview.

Since this page-count does not go into a cell, you don't see it on-screen until you print or preview.

mxk