Roberto Inzerillo wrote:

 > I have been using Libreoffice 5.1 under Windows and had no problem with
 > Math symbols before.
 >
 > But today, after installing and uninstalling a few programs, Libreoffice
 > suddenly started displyaing some symbols in a wrong way.
 >
 > This is a screenshot of what I'm talking about:
 > http://www.robertoinzerillo.com/temp/math_01.jpg
 > The "vector" symbol over the letter "A" is being rendered as a series of
 > squares :-(
 > This is not the only symbols which has been corrupted.
 >
 > I already followed a few hints found in the internet, such like
 > downloading and installing opens___.ttf file again; but had no luck :-(
 >
 > Any suggestions?

This definitely looks like LO doesn't know the OpenSymbol font or forgot how to
use it.
Can you try the following?

In a Writer document, choose OpenSymbol as font, and then Insert > Special
Character
You will get a table of characters. About halfway the table, just above a
sequence of Greek characters (the second set of Greek characters) ΓΔΘΛΞΠΣ,
there is a vector symbol. Can you insert that?

You can also check in a Formula with Tools > Symbols. (or Catalog, depending on
the LO version). Choose symbol set Special, and click Edit. You should get the
same table. See if it is there, and then Cancel.
--
Piet van Oostrum <p...@vanoostrum.org>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/