Hi :)
There is another app/module/component called "Math" that is designed for
writing formulae.  I've only used it for writing maths formulae a couple of
times but it should be flexible enough to do all sorts.  From what i
remember it was quite a steep learning-curve and results in images which
can then be used anywhere.  If that is true it might be easier to use some
other image-editing program, such as inkscape, gimp or Draw or something
more familiar to you.

Anyway the guides/manuals for "Math", Draw as well as Writer, Impress and
the other LibreOffice modules are here;
https:// <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications>
wiki.documentfoundation.org
<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications>
/Documentation/Publications
<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications>

There are video tutorials at;
http://spoken-tutorial.org/
for LibreOffice and many other FOSS projects.