First check file permissions, should be read/write, I/O error can occur due to insufficient privileges since it's a new Ubuntu install.

I can't open half of search results from link below.

Didn't read your previous mails and don't know if that was discussed already, but that's how I fixed it. Although, you might have different I/O error.

Kruno