I have an odd problem with document hyperlinks in Writer, one which I never
experienced when using Open Office or, before that, Word.

I have many Writer files containing hyperlinks to PDF documents on my hard
drives. The problem only occurs when I create a hyperlink to a document still
being added to such as "Dockets_1896-1897_08_a.pdf." The hyperlink looks fine
in Writer when I create it, but when I come back to the Writer file some hours
or days later the visible hyperlink has changed to "Dockets_1896-1897_08 _a
.pdf" where the spaces between "08" and "_a" and between "_a" and ".pdf" are so
narrow as to be almost invisible, and where"Dockets_1896-1897_08" "_a" and
".pdf" are three separate hyperlinks, all with the original destination.

After finishing the additions to the document I change the filename,
destination, and hyperlink to "Dockets_1896-1897_08.pdf" (the "_a" is only
there to show that the PDF is not yet complete) and never again have a problem
with that hyperlink. What is puzzling is that only some of the hyperlinks with
the "_a" suffix suffer from this problem - not all of them. Any ideas?

Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS and MA Society of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
Administrator of http://plymouthcolony.net