I'm using LibreOffice 5.1.3.2 on a Debian/Stretch AMD64 machine.

I created a spreadsheet containing 4 address columns where each row may or may not use all 4. Then I created an envelope form with a fixed return address and 4 fields for the addresses linked to each column in the spreadsheet.

When I tried to print, it gets all the way to actually creating a PDF (wanted to make sure the envelopes looked good before physically printing them) but the PDF never was created. This happened when I asked for a single PDF and also if I asked for 1 PDF per row based on Address1.

When I created a .ODB file linked to the spreadsheet and recreated the form using the .ODB file, the printing worked. Therefore the problem seems to be in the direct link to a spreadsheet.