Pat Brown wrote:

 > I received a document which, essentially is a document of song lyrics.
 > However, they were typed in at random, as they were received. I now want to
 > sort the songs by song title and can't figure a way to do this. The format
 > is the following:
 >  The song title, the artist, the lyrics. Each line is essentially a new
 > paragraph so I cannot sort by paragraph. I need some way of marking the
 > beginning and the ending of each song, having the contents between these
 > two marks recognised as a unit, and then sorting these units. Does anyone
 > have any ideas, without having to select each song, cutting it and then
 > pasting it in its correct position alphabetically

Here is a recipe that could help you, but it requires the Alternative Searching
extension (aka Alternative Find & Replace)

1. Choose two characters that do not appear in your text. I chose # an §.
2. Mark every song title, except the first one, with # at the beginning of the
line.
3. With Alt. Find & replace:
   Search For: \p
   Replace: §
   Check "regular expressions" box
   Replace all
4. With Alt. Find & Replace:
   Search for: §#
   Replace \p
   ("regular expressions" box still checked)
5. Select all text and then Tools > Sort.
6. With Alt. Find & Replace:
   Search for: §
   Replace \p
   ("regular expressions" box still checked)

As far as I know, steps 4 and 6 cannot be done with the regular find and
replace as you can't specify a paragraph mark in the replace. At least i don't
know how to.

--
Piet van Oostrum <p...@vanoostrum.org>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/