I always use a image editor - i.e. GIMP - to make images look like watermarks.
Then I add it to the document as a background.

The key was how you took the original image and modify it with brightness and contrast controls till it looked like a watermark. This was with OOo since LO was not created yet.

My best one was a letterhead logo that printed out using a laser printer and would not be viewable when you used a scanner or copy machine. I used it for a not-for-profit organization that I have been on the board with since 2007[?].