Sorry - it absolutely is a font problem!  I was just griping that most (well,
many) fonts provide only the modern form of the glyph - their creators
assuming that the font's use will be for modern Greek. I guess that's a
correct assumption most of the time, so it's a hollow complaint.

I was just whining (it's what we old folks do). It's disturbing to find a
font I think is otherwise good looking, but has the tilde-like glyph. But
some fonts do include "alternate" glyphs, so it's not all bad. And there's
always FontForge (for Linux) and Fontographer (for Windows).

But thanks much for the suggestion.