On 21/12/16 22:56, Gary Dale wrote:
> This is ridiculous. I've just been reading a question from a 2008 (3.2)
> version of OpenOffice.org that is the same as my current problem. Namely
> that you can't place images in the background on a business card.
>
> I'm using LibreOffice 5.2 (Debian) and when I insert an image, it
> refuses to go behind the text whether I select Arrange | Send to back or
> Wrap | wrap through. It will go behind the text if I select Wrap | in
> background but then it disappears. And no, before you ask, the paragraph
> fill is set to none.
>
> I finally found a setting in Format | Page | Transparency where setting
> the transparency to 100% worked. Strangely the original setting was 50%
> which resulted in the background image being hidden completely. A quick
> experiment revealed that ANY setting other than 100% hid the background
> image.
>
> I have no idea what this "feature" is for but it seems completely
> unintuitive and in conflict with the paragraph background setting, not
> to mention the wrap in background feature.
>
> So my beef is:
> 1) Arrange doesn't appear to work on labels,
> 2) wrap through doesn't appear to work on labels,
> 3) there seems to be a page background that is in front of any
> background image,
> 4) the transparency setting for that page background only has two values
> - 100% or opaque, and
> 5) this situation has been around for at least 8 years without being fixed.
>
> Why can't the developers address these basic problems?

If you use a table for your layout then placing an image in the
background behaves as you would wish. Sadly LibreOffice uses a
frame-based layout for labels and that might be where your problem lies.

I do not experience problems with my Avery business card stock using the
table based approach.

Peter HB