DavidBTeagueAt Comporium.net wrote
> My question is, was it necessary to remove the 32 bit version? I found
> no cautions about  upgrading a 32 bit version with a 64 bit version in
> the notes.

You did it correctly.

Even though the install on 64-bit Windows will go to different locations,
C:\Program Files (x86)\LibreOffice 5 for 32-bit vs. C:\Program
Files\LibreOffice 5 for 64-bit installs, with different HKEY branches in the
Windows registry--WOW6432node for the 32-bit--they will conflict.
Especially because the default install includes setup of the Quickstarter.

They can be made to coexist (including /a "Administrative" install as
commonly needed for our QA work) but for the average user a "clean install"
when shifting from 32-bit to 64-bit is the best practice.  The installer
will not handle it for you in any sense.