Hello,
Thanks for your answers! I have found and solved my problem...
When I installed Debian 9, MariaDB was automatically instaalled. It seems that the structure of the confg-files has changed between MySQL 5.5 and MariaDB 10. The new config-file specified localhost for the bind-address parameter. Changing it such that the server also listens to "normal"
TCP-IP connections has done the trick.
I will keep on using JDBC till a viable native connector becomes available.
Regards
H. Stoellinger