After seeing Tim's post I checked and Insert > Media > Scan > Select
Source... opens an empty dialog and Insert > Media > Scan > Request...
silently fails.
Version: 6.0.0.3 (x64) Build ID:
64a0f66915f38c6217de274f0aa8e15618924765 CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows
6.1; UI render: GL;

No issues with scan in either AOO or MS Office on the same machine.

Dave