This function seems to work fine:
Public Function GetCell(oSheet As com.sun.star.sheet.XSpreadsheet, _
                        lRow As Long, _
                        lCol As Long) As com.sun.star.sheet.XCell
    GetCell=oSheet.getCellByPosition(lCol, lRow)
End Function

For instance, this works fine:
Dim oLastDateCell As Object
oLastDateCell=GetCell(oSheet, lLastRow, ColDate)

No errors what so ever.
But, on the other hand, this throws an error:
Dim oLastDateCell As com.sun.star.sheet.XCell
oLastDateCell=GetCell(oSheet, lLastRow, ColDate) ' oSheet and more are
correctly defined someplace else.

Error message:
”BASIC syntax error.
Data type com.sun.star.sheet.XCell is unknown”

So it works as a return type for my GetCell function, but when defining a
variable, it's suddenly unknown? Can someone explain this?

Why I use experimental mode? Because I want to learn how it works plus a
few more reasons that are just as irrelevant.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg