Hi Carl.
I usually select the paragraph, then click in the ruler on one of the
tabs (upsidedown T) and slide it where I want it.
I do that for as many tabs as I need. I right click on these tabs to
change the type to centre or right aligned as I need.
I then type tabs with the tab key into my text before the required stop
to tab it out to the positions I defined.
It might not be every ones solution, but it works for me.

Steve