Does anyone on the list, whether from the DF or a user, know if there
are plans to improve the save dialog?

As it stands, at least on Linux, separate partitions and connected
drives are no longer shown in the dialogue. Saving to such a partition
or drive means navigating there through the root directory. I know that
it is possible to save the location, but this does not help if you are
saving to a new or infrequently used external device.

If needed I will file a request for enhancement because the one step
forward for cloud users brought several steps back for connected
drives.