Having tried unsuccessfully to connect my remote mariadb from
LibreOffice Base under Leap 15.0, I am still having problems under Leap
15.1. My LO version is 6.1.3.2.

The JDBC and ODBC drivers 'fail to load'.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this
problem systematically?

For example with ODBC: What is the syntax for the name of the 'ODBC
data source'?
I am getting the error "SQL Status: IM002 [unixODBC][Driver
Manager]Data source name not found, and no default driver specified"

I have no problem to connect to the remote database with, say, Mysql
workbench or phpMyAdmin from the same client desktop, so the database
is accessible.

Cheers
Harvey