I realise that I accidentally (and yet again) sent my answer directly to
the original poster. Sorry for that. Here it is, even though the question
has already been answered:

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Från: Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knu...@gmail.com>
Date: tors 1 aug. 2019 kl 01:30
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] record durations, not time of day
To: Eric Beversluis <ebe...@researchintegration.org>

Den tors 1 aug. 2019 kl 00:46 skrev Eric Beversluis <
ebe...@researchintegration.org>:

> I want to enter numbers in Calc like 3:05 that stands for 3 minutes and 5
> seconds (duration), not for some time of day. How do I do this?

You do just that. For 3 minutes 5 seconds, enter 0:3:5 (or 0:03:05). the
cell value will then be (3·60+5)/86400, which is your time in days, but you
format it as MM:SS and your cell will display 03:05, or M:SS for 3:05.
If you add times and you don't want to use hours, then format as [MM]:SS.
That will give you, for instance, 65:37 for 1 hour, 5 minutes and 37
seconds.
So it's basically all about formatting. The actual value in the cell is
still in days as a floating point number (for instance 0.125=4 hours=240
minutes).

It's important to input hours even if you don't use them, otherwise your
input will be interpreted as HH:MM rather than MM:SS.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg