On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 15:51:57 -0800
John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com> dijo:

>I have been using LO, and previously OO, since ~2002, and I currently
>have 6.3.4.2 on Xubuntu 18.04, up to date. This version was installed
>with the PPA supplied by LO.
>
>Needing to figure out my numerous templates I searched for *.ott and
>came up with files scattered all over. So my first question is, where
>is the preferred location so I can corral them all in the same place?
>
>And then I have a problem with the default Writer template
>'Default.ott,' of which there is only one I practically never use
>anything but Writer, and when I launch Writer it comes up with a new,
>blank document based on the default template. This is as it should be,
>but there is something in the default template that I need to change -
>the settings for the First Line Indent style. It defaults to adding
>seven points between paragraphs, but I must always change that to -0-,
>in order to comply with university and publishing style guidelines. And
>no, I do not want a special template for this; I just want to change
>the settings for the default template.
>
>I launched Writer, then closed the new, blank document and selected the
>Default template for editing. Imagine my surprise when the setting for
>First Line Indent showed -0- points for additional spacing between
>paragraphs. Yet when I open a new document based on the default
>template the setting for First Line Indent is always an additional
>seven points between paragraphs.
>
>What is going on here?

I found part of the problem. For some reason LO Writer was not using
the Default.ott file for the default template. I found how to force it
to use this template, but I never figure out which template it was
using for the default. But at least now a new document comes up with
the right settings for the First Line Indent style.

But so far I have failed to figure out where the default folder for
templates is. I'd really like to tidy things up.