-------- Original Message --------
From: Stephan Bergmann [mailto:sberg...@redhat.com]
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020, 13:35 UTC
To: LibreOffice Users
Cc: Dave Barton
Subject: [libreoffice-users] Create a relative hyperlink to file?

> On 19/09/2020 16:33, Dave Barton wrote:
>> I am trying to create a Writer document with a number of links to files
>> in the same directory as the odt file itself. Using absolute paths
>> everything works perfectly, but relative links (eg. file://abc.xyz)
>> always fail with a "not an *absolute* URL" error.
>
> What version of LibreOffice are you using, and what is the exact wording
> of the error message?  At least with recent versions of LibreOffice, the
> wording of the error message when clicking the link should be:
> "'file://abc.xyz/' cannot be passed to an external application to open
> it (e.g., it might not be an absolute URL, or might denote no existing
> file)."
>
> And note that <file://abc.xyz/> is not a relative URL, it is an absolute
> file URL with an "abc.xyz" authority, which is interpreted by
> LibreOffice at least on Windows to denote the root directory of some
> (most likely non-existing) abc.xyz UNC share.

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but as I said in response to Regina
and others later in this thread: "Today I started the computers
(Win 10-2004 x64 & Linux Kernel 5.8 x64) running LO 7.0.1.2, opened the
odt file and the relative links worked perfectly." I am unable to
discover or explain why it did not work initially.

My issue now is to find a way to get those relative links working in an
exported PDF copy of the file. I have tried several different export
options, but clicking the links in the PDF file always returns the "File
<Absolute Path> not found" error.

Best Regards
Dave

PS. I am subscribed to the list so the cc isn't necessary. ;)