In a 1980 typing class, a 'word' (as in WPM) was defined as 5 characters
typed without spelling errors. At the time that is how anyone paid by the
word got paid: Total characters divided by 5 - errors detected. = paid
words. And we used line length and lines per page to calculate total
characters, not actually counting them. That is, on a Pica typewriter: 60
characters per row * 28 rows per page * 20 pages * 32 lines per page =
33600 words.