Jiri forwarded me the URL to his post and I found it fascinating:

"Calculating GE Job Priorities"
http://olwynion.blogspot.com/2011/04/calculating-ge-job-priorities.html

I've always felt that one of the strengths of GE (unlimited number of knobs that you can alter) is also one of it's biggest problems (infinite number of potential configurations and no huge corpus of well tested values ...) and this post reinforces a lot of those thoughts.

What do others think? I gave up years ago trying to understand the policy mechanism at any deep level. I have a few good config recipes that I stick with. Whenever I have to deviate from those, I often end up making best-guess changes to odd SGE values/weights and then I have to watch the pending/active job list to see if the resource allocation mix is doing what I hoped. More clarity and "predictive-ness" would be welcome.

-dag