Am 02.05.11 15:51, schrieb Dave Love:
I was promised the result of
http://www.jisc.org.uk/whatwedo/programmes/greeningict/technical/supercomputers.aspx
to look at adapting it for SGE.  I should chase it up, but I don't know
how comprehensive it is.  As it was written for PBS, I suspect it may
not do too useful things with resource requests, and I think the OSC
systems are rather uniform compared with our rather heterogeneous ones.

[Off-topic, I've never seen an assessment of the effects on reliability
of treating HPC systems this way, especially already-unreliable ones
like ours, where we're suspicious of thermal effects on the motherboard
stability.  Does anyone know of one?]

If you look at the approved power-down cycles which the vendors publish for state-of-the-art HW then that may be scary. It usually is in the order of 2000 cycles. It certainly would cause problems to power down a resource several times a day.

The better option would be to switch the systems into energy saving modes - if the system provides something like that. Not all do.

That said, I know customer cases who have done powersaving with the brute force shutdown approach. There is a presentation by s+c about it which was held during the last Grid Engine workshop. Have the on-line proceedings been archived and made available somewhere?

Cheers,

Fritz