While core binding itself should work with such an topology (I never tried it)
in 6.2u5, the reporting of the topology string will be wrong. As you might
noticed,
string based load values are just reported up to a length of 1024 bytes,
that means that with 1000 nodes not the full topology string arrives.
Hence the m_topology and m_topology_inuse as well as the selected
cores reported from "qstat -cb" are meaningless.

Unfortunately there is no free example script I'm aware of. SGE 6.2u6 contained
one but this is not free.

You should consider to use (set) the following JSV parameters:

binding_strategy, binding_type, binding_amount, binding_step, binding_socket,
binding_core, binding_exp_n,
binding_exp_socket<id>, binding_exp_core<id>

with jsv_set_param for example (for the general JSV usage there are some
examples in 6.2u5).

Often is is required to set the length of the explicit request to 0
(jsv_set_param binding_exp_n 0)
but doing it twice is not a good idea in SGE 6.2u5.

binding_strategy can be set to either: linear, linear_automatic, striding,
striding_automatic, explicit, or no_job_binding.

Usually you want to set "linear_automatic" or "striding_automatic" which
requires just to set "binding_amount" (binding_step).
This correspondents with "qsub -binding linear:N" and "qsub -binding
striding:S:N"

Using "linear" here requires to set a start core and a start socket, which is
on command line something like "qsub -binding linear:2:0,0".

Does a "qsub -binding linear:1" actually work with 6.2u5  on the UltraViolet
(meaning that it binds on the execution host without any issues)?

Regards,

Daniel