Somewhat related to the email message below: I am going to play with a
StoragePod 2.0 for the next project in 2013... The machine uses
off-the-shelf components like motherboard, CPU, 45 disks, memory,
power supply... and the real intellectual property that was released
by Backblaze is the 4U custom case (but it is still cool!).

http://blog.backblaze.com/2011/07/20/petabytes-on-a-budget-v2-0revealing-more-secrets/

When I first saw the machine, I thought that it was the Sun Fire x4500
painted in red!! To me, it is a whitebox, DIY version of the x4500,
but the StoragePod is much more affordable at less than US $10,000!

So my question is, besides the obvious functionalities like input file
staging & transfer, what are the useful features that can (and should)
be implemented in Grid Engine for data management? (Feel free to
contact me offline if your site has special requirements.)

BTW, while googling, found that Chris also has a StoragePod:
http://bioteam.net/2011/08/backblaze-storage-pod/

Rayson

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/