Hi Reuti,

> Yes. But this queue can have the total slot count of the machine. Or are you
> assigning right now 4 cores to a short queue, 8 to a medium one and the
> remaining 4 cores of a 16 cores machine to a long queue?

I limit the total number of slots for each queue using an RQS.  The shortest
queue (30 minute time limit) is unlimited, and each other queue can use up to
10% of the total slots (120 total). For example the RQS for one of the queues:

{
   name         longlimit
   description  NONE
   enabled      TRUE
   limit        queues long.q hosts * to slots=12
}

> The $PE_HOSTFILE will contain an entry for each granted queue. The MPI
> library will need to sum up the ones residing on one and the same host and
> use forks across the overall amount. This was a bug in Open MPI but it was
> fixed some time ago; in MPICH2 1.4.1p1 it's still there, even 3.0.4 and
> 3.1b1.
> I'll bring it up on the MPICH list (as a result several `qrsh -inherit ...`
> will be made to one and the same machine and you can face the error you got).

Thank you so much for this!  I saw your message to the MPICH list and will
definitely keep an eye on it.  I may also try out OpenMPI soon.

Thanks again,
Brendan