There is unfortunately no way in SGE to limit main memory.
h_rss / s_rss does not work with the  rlimit call in Linux kernel version above
2.4.

Hence in Univa Grid Engine we introduced multiple ways for doing main memory
limitations. If you have cgroups support turned on then the cgroup takes care
for limiting
either hard or softly (soft is different there - it has a means of current
memory pressure in the system). In our latest patch we also allow to limit
main memory with h_rss / s_rss which works similar to what
you expect from other limits. There are also ways for forcing the application
to take only memory from the local NUMA node and UGE can manage
per socket memory usage. This can be combined with binding application
to certain cores / sockets. Other than that we also report proportional rss
and other more specific memory usage metrics. So, to summarize,
it was a very obvious issue in SGE where we saw the need to improve it.

Daniel