In the message dated: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 18:58:02 -0000,
The pithy ruminations from "MacMullan, Hugh" on
<Re: [gridengine users] Migrating from sge 6.2u5 to 8.1.7> were:
=> Hi Norbert:
=>
=> As Reuti says here:
http://gridengine.org/pipermail/users/2012-October/004927.html
=>
=> There are scripts to save and load the actual configuration to text files:
=>

Having recently upgraded from 6.2u5 to 8.1.6, I have some observations that
may be helpful.

=> $ ls /usr/sge/util/upgrade_modules
=> inst_upgrade.sh  load_sge_config.sh  save_sge_config.sh
=>

SGE 8.1.x requires some parameters that do not exist in 6.2u5.  For us,
the issue was that the field "qsort_args" is required in PE defintions
under 8.1.x, but is not present in 6.2u5, so loading the previous
configurations failed to create the PEs under the new version. There
may be other required values with similar issues.

You may need to run "load_sge_config.sh" multiple times due to the order
of operations. For example, the script may attempt to set the parameters
of a queue parameters before creating the queue, causing an error on
the first execution, then success the second time load_sge_config.sh is run.

The output of 'qhost' is different -- 8.1.x adds 'NSOC' and 'NCOR'
fields, so programs that parse qhost may need alteration.

Mark

=> We've used these a few times over the years to good effect.
=>
=> Good luck with the upgrade!
=>
=> Cheers,