Hi,

Am 24.09.2015 um 23:52 schrieb Lane, William:

> Reuti,
>
> 1.
> The exechost isn't the head node is it? We've always referred to our SGE
> clusters as having
> three types of nodes: submit nodes, compute nodes and head nodes.

It's better to think of machines as offering three types of services:

- qmaster aka head node
- submit host
- exechost

A particular node can offer one or even all three services. We install SGE also
local on our workstations to serialize the workflow on them when doing local
computations. Hence such a machines offers all three services.

> Compute ring is an OpenMPI term for the slots to which processes for the job
> are dispatched,

I never heard of it - do you have any link? It reminds me more of LAM/MPI,
where you had to start some daemons on the nodes beforehand.

> but I meant the compute nodes that actually take part in a job.

That's clearer by far. Your Open MPI was compiled "--with-sge"?

> 2.
> I was thinking of looking at the start time and end time, taking the
> difference and seeing if this
> difference is >= h_rt to determine if the job was aborted for this reason or
> not. Then indicating
> that in the subject header of the email.

Sure, that's also possible. But you have to scan the content of the to be send
email to adjust the header.

> 3.
> I was hoping there might be some sort of formula to determine an ideal h_rt
> value. I'll have
> to kick this decision to management.
>
> Personally, I don't know how users are supposed to predict in advance how
> long their jobs are supposed to
> run for, nor how much memory their job will use via h_vmem. I've seen the
> runtime for some jobs extend
> to several days.

After submitting some jobs with unlimited runtime the users may get some
experience about certain types of jobs. This would also allow backfilling then,
in case they fit in a window where reserved nodes would be idling otherwise.
This can of course only work if you have an uniform cluster. Otherwise it would
be necessary to specify different runtimes for different type of machines the
jobs may start on.

-- Reuti