Hi there,

as always I can be wrong, but I do not think it is possible to find a good name
which (a) expresses the behaviour well (b) along with its very close similarity
to 'with', which is a problem of 'tap's etc can be found.

Therefore myself, I would advocate for

(a) **renaming current 'with'** (keeping, of course, the original name as an
equivalent for backward compatibility; just by convention discourage its use in
new code)
(b) and adding an appropriate variant of the name for the new functionality.

Myself, I would probably like

- 'doWith' for the new one -- considering returning 'this' a reasonable
default, which it is
- 'valueWith' as a modern equivalent of 'with' for the old functionality

or perhaps

- 'tap' for the new one (for all the reasons others expressed in favour of the
name)
- 'valueTapping' as a modern equivalent of 'with' for the old functionality

or something like that.

All the best,
OC