> so how do you define a variable and use that variable in a method in a
script?

A variable that is accessible to a method sound a lot like a field to me.
Thus my usage of @Field. It would be nice if it would be imported in all
scripts by default. If not for the binding it would also act exactly the
same with or without compile static, which is another plus side. Of course
I would still want to be able to set binding for script context in general
and be able to read them. That said, if I want to export a binding to
external world I would prefer some special way of doing that.

In Gradle to create a "global" variable one use ext.x = 1
In Beaker notebook to create a variable that is shared across sections one
do beaker.x = 1

Regards,
Krzysztof