@"var in Java 10": http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/286 ?
This is the same feature I suggested a month or so back for Groovy (coming from my short C# stint) - I was not aware that someone already done an in-depth analysis for Java :-)

Reading JEP 286 Groovy dodged a bit of a bullet there: They were considering using "def" instead of "var" as the keyword - because of Groovy. Only "def" in Groovy is shorthand for "Object", no type inference taking place (apart from IntelliJ Intellisense, which sometimes works better when using def instead of Object), so that would have made Java 10 incomaptible with Groovy in that regard.

Interestingly no one seemed to realize that using "final" without an explicit type together with type inference works perfectly well - instead they are talking about using a "val" keyword (very bad choice imho, since at least to me it implies a value type, or something which is const(ant)), for the case that the assignment is final...

So what are the plans for "var" (and the related type inference when using "final") in Groovy right now: Wait until the Java 10, or introduce earlier ?
mg