PPS: I do not agree with you assessment of Kotlin: Apart from it being always statically typed (less flexible than Groovy, but sometimes just all one needs, and definitely easier for Java-only-developers to wrap their head around; also helps avoid the annoying "only a scripting language" tag), I find it to be 95% Groovy, with an added 5% of really weird/bad syntactic/semantic decisions (Javascript type declarartion syntax, which works well for a very weakly typed language only were you seldom use it, and the imho clumsy non-null-syntax semantics). Implementation wise they have done some things which Groovy should do, but these are no-brainers, e.g. the semantics of inline closures, or that final variables with no explicit type are not of type Object, but of the type they were assigned, or named parameters support which does not try to force-map the problem to a (non type safe) map.