From: Keegan Witt <keeganw...@gmail.com>
Sent: 11 February 2019 2:24 AM
To: users@groovy.apache.org
Subject: New Groovy Windows installer

I'm working on a new installer<https://github.com/keeganwitt/groovy-wix> for
Windows using WIX<http://wixtoolset.org/> to create an MSI installer, which
should be more robust for things like altering environment variables and make
it easier to do corporate installations.

I'm a total noob when it comes to Windows Installer and WIX, so I'm sure I've
done some dumb things, but I hacked together a basic working installer this
weekend.  I've put the initial version of the installer
here<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w2giakqb2jcc82e/AAB_gqvCvzOU1t-2dRlV4yBoa?dl=0>.
  Your feedback is appreciated.

Some things I'm still thinking about or working on:

  *   The start menu shortcuts for documentation don't go into a subfolder, I'm
not sure why.
  *   Heat will generate new GUIDs for the binaries and docs folders every time
the project is built -- I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do.
  *   Would you ever want to set GROOVY_HOME without adding to PATH?  Or add to
PATH without setting GROOVY_HOME?  Currently the installer groups these
together in a single feature.
  *   We should use registry entries to remember which features the user
selected to install, so those are automatically selected during upgrades.
  *   Desktop shortcuts.
  *   Quick launch shortcuts.  I don't think people use these much anymore, but
I can throw them in -- maybe disabled by default?
  *   Should I create an exe version of the installer as well as the msi?
-Keegan