Edit on 6:
I think I misread this originally.  Actually the file association thing
doesn't apply in this case, that's an issue with the shortcuts.  The issue
I think is that before we were including groovy.exe (the native binaries)
and now we're not, we're just providing batch and VB script files.  When
executed from inside cmd.exe, invoking just "groovy" works fine, since the
shell is able to do the interpretation from groovy to groovy.bat.  But this
doesn't work from inside Java because it doesn't have the shell to do any
interpretation.  While this is related to the file association issue (in
that the issue exists because there are no binaries), it is a use case I
had not considered.  For what I tend to do, I just wanted to be able to
click Groovy Console in the start menu and not have an annoying cmd.exe
window pop open, so a VB script was sufficient for that.  It's feeling like
I'm going to have to re-introduce some kind of binary wrapper.

-Keegan