Oliver,

A total guess is that there are too many files open! lol. Sorry, had to do it. On Solaris, the number of files open at any one time is based on system and process limits. Even though it's old a good reference article is http://sunsite.uakom.sk/sunworldonline/swol-02-1998/swol-02-insidesolaris.html.

Briefly, to find out what the per-processes open file limit is: ulimit -a (Korn & Bourne shells); limit -a for Csh. The limit of open files on Solaris is limited only by the amount of memory available to the kernel. It is dynamically allocated. To find out the size of the table, use sar -v 1.

I've actually never run into this problem. I have run into availability of inodes but that's a different subject.

HTH

Spike

Oliver Kirchel wrote:

Hi,
I'm running Apache/1.3.26 and I get in the error_log following message:

(24)Too many open files: couldn't spawn child process:
/usr/local/httpd/blun/cgi-bin/dic

What's wrong ?

Thanks
Olli

begin:vcard
fn:Spike Burkhardt
n:Burkhardt;Spike
adr;dom:;;3825 Fabian Way;Palo Alto;Ca;94303
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Unix Systems Engineer
tel;work:650-852-4787
tel;pager:877-720-8146