could this be a log size problem too?
one of the virtual server has almost a gig of access log - i'm going to
see why it wasn't rotated - but can this be one of the reasons.

right now i have another instance of httpd going wild - started sometime
in the last hour...

# top
CPU states: 24.9% user,  0.0% nice, 74.7% system,  0.4% interrupt,  0.0% idle
Mem: 469M Active, 3056K Inact, 87M Wired, 4416K Cache, 112M Buf, 439M Free
Swap: 2032M Total, 340K Used, 2032M Free

  PID USERNAME      PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
 6113 nobody         64   0 17980K 12204K RUN     80:54 97.80% 97.80% httpd