I also think that it is likely that a port is not freed quickly enough...

There are a couple of fixes in Apache 2.0.54 that may be relevant to this
problem: Refer to the changelist for details. I therefore think that it might
be worthwhile to try to reproduce the restart problem with 2.0.54.

Although I am not a great fan of upgrading production systems to the latest and
greatest version every time there is a release, but there have been so many
fixes since 2.0.49 (and 2.0.50) that we currently use, that I have started
testing 2.0.54.

I have myself stopped using Apache restart and graceful for other reasons than
"stuck" ports. We can do this because we have a load balancer that also
provides failover. This allows us to restart one web server at the time.

The reason we stopped using restart/graceful was because we ran into problems
which I thought might be due to inadequate cleanup of shared memory segments
and semaphores on Solaris when restart or graceful are invoked.

I may be wrong about this, but since I adopted this policy and removed the
restart and graceful from apachectl to force our administrators to use stop and
start instead, we have not experienced any problems with orphaned shared memory
blocks or orphaned semaphores.

Specifically, the problem we had was that Apache (SSL) complained about the SSL
shm session cache file existing when starting Apache. We then removed the file
and tried again, and again we got the same message. And sure enough, the file
had been recreated. The only solution was to either change SSL session cache to
dbm, or reboot the server.

-ascs