From: Stephen Carville [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 10:01 PM
To: Apache Users
Subject: [EMAIL PROTECTED] POSTing to non-executable file

Is there a good way for a client program to check for the existance of a
file on a remote server before attempting a download?  Kind of an http
version of the ls command.

We have a software program that checks for the existance of a file by
doing an empty POST to the URL.  This works with apache 2.0.52 but fails
on 1.3.20 with an error 405:

The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL /pdf/temp/16557996.pdf.

Whatever technique I use has to work on both 1.3 and 2.0 so I'd like to
know if there is a better way.

--
Stephen Carville