Thanks Joost for your reply,  RedirectPermanent or Redirect Permanent they
both do the same thing. But I did not get your point.

And I am still looking for the solution !

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  My original post  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We have always been doing it the Virtual host way (virtual on port 80
redirects (permanant) to virtual on 443). In my Virtual host for port 80,
I have:

Redirect permanent      /       https://www.mysite.com/home/index.htm

But this works fine only for the root (/) request, meaning if the request
comes for

http://www.mysite.com/          Redirects Permanant to Home page over SSL
works ----->    https://www.mysite.com/home/index.htm

But if the request comes directly for using old bookmarks:

http://www.mysite.com/home/index.htm            It Redirects to ----->
https://www.mysite.com/home/index.htmhome/index.htm

which results in a 404, page not found (notice home/index.htm appended to
the SSL redirect destination)

-----------------------------------

What we want is just that all request (to the home page or subsequent
pages via old bookmarks) coming in on port 80 ie. over http:// gets
replaced with https://

Basically just toggle the protocol from http to https. We do not want to
Rewrite any of the links in our HTML response. We just want to be able to
Rewrite the URL request.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< End - My original post

Thanks
- -
Jignesh

"Joost de Heer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
06/16/2005 02:01 PM
Please respond to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Jignesh Badani" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc
users@httpd.apache.org
Subject
Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Problem redirecting http to https

Jignesh Badani said:
> We have a similar problem.
>
> We have always been doing it the Virtual host way (virtual on port 80
> redirects (permanant) to virtual on 443). In my Virtual host for port
80,
> I have:
>
> Redirect permanent      /       https://www.mysite.com/home/index.htm

This should be RedirectPermanent / https://www.mysite.com/

What RedirectPermanent (or Redirect permanent) basically does is replacing
the first argument with the second, even if something comes behind it. So
in your rule, /foo/bar is changed to
https://www.mysite.com/home/index.htmfoo/bar (replacing the leading / with
the replace-pattern).

Joost